Arial question

Old June 18th 06, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
wally

Default Arial question

I'm thinking of getting a Freeview box in my van and
I need a new arial as well.
Would those permanent ones that fit on the roof give
a strong enough signal to run a Freeview.
(the ones that look like a flying saucer on the roof)

Wally

Old June 18th 06, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 12:01:39 +0100, "Wally" wrote:

|I'm thinking of getting a Freeview box in my van and
|I need a new arial as well.
|Would those permanent ones that fit on the roof give
|a strong enough signal to run a Freeview.
|(the ones that look like a flying saucer on the roof)

Only when you are in a *very* good signal area.

We pitch in the back of beyond, in steep sided, wooded valleys, miles from
the transmitters. Even with a directional aerial, and an amplifier, we
regularly fail to get a digital signal.

Always check http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tvd.exe? for digital
and http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tva.exe? for analogue.
Old June 18th 06, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old June 18th 06, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old June 18th 06, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Default Aerial question

"Wally" wrote in message
I'm thinking of getting a Freeview box in my van and
I need a new arial as well.
Would those permanent ones that fit on the roof give
a strong enough signal to run a Freeview.
(the ones that look like a flying saucer on the roof)

You mean the round Status, yes they do work but only in the right reception
areas. About a third of the sites for me it as been OK. In the others
I've needed a bit more signal and I've used a directional aerial. Not been
in a location yet where I've not recieved Freeview TV and Radio, and I
caravan a lot and in various parts of England.

Please reply to News Group

Old June 19th 06, 05:38 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Capt. Flack

"David" wrote in message

"Wally" wrote in message
I'm thinking of getting a Freeview box in my van and
I need a new arial as well.
Would those permanent ones that fit on the roof give
a strong enough signal to run a Freeview.
(the ones that look like a flying saucer on the roof)

You mean the round Status, yes they do work but only in the right
reception areas. About a third of the sites for me it as been OK. In
the others I've needed a bit more signal and I've used a directional
aerial. Not been in a location yet where I've not recieved Freeview TV
and Radio, and I caravan a lot and in various parts of England.

Please reply to News Group

I have found the circular Status aerial to be pretty useless for digital
reception.

I use a Triax high-gain aerial which picks up everything and does not need
the amplifier which is handy for me as we often have no hook-up. I got it
for 16 incl. postage off E-bay.

Friends of mine have a new caravan with the newer directional Status aerial,
this seems to be a lot better that the older version.