bed thingy!!

Old June 19th 06, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ecky-h

Default bed thingy!!

I want to buy a pull out slatted type bed thingy,( like all the new caravans
have )fits into a locker box at the front of van, instead of having to put
the table top down every night. Has anyone got an idea just where I could
get this from? as it's not an accessory that you can get in the caravan
shops.
Ecky(Hants).

Old June 19th 06, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane

"ecky-h" wrote in
:

I want to buy a pull out slatted type bed thingy,( like all the new
caravans have )fits into a locker box at the front of van, instead of
having to put the table top down every night. Has anyone got an idea
just where I could get this from? as it's not an accessory that you
can get in the caravan shops.

Back in the 1980s, when slatted beds became popular, I remember Practical
Caravan (IIRC) produced an article on how to build your own. IIRC, it
wasn't rocket science and anyone with basic DIY skills should be able to do
this. The key thing to remember is to use straight-grained, knot-free
timber for the slats (aircraft-quality spruce might be overkill, but it
would certainly do the job!). Try going around a few dealers and see how
the manufacturers have done it.

If you don't fancy having a go yourself, most caravan workshops should be
able to do the work - albeit at a price.

HTH,

--
Geoff

Old June 19th 06, 01:34 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ecky-h

Thanks Geoff.
Not (knot) into timber that much, don't know an elm from a pine, woods wood
to me, so have to get advice on what to use. Yes, I can DIY it myself as
long as i have the right gear to do the job.( don't want the missus falling
through the damn thing in the middle of the night do we. (be good for a
laugh though, about 3 in the morning))
Ecky.(Hants)

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
"ecky-h" wrote in
:

Old June 19th 06, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield

ecky-h formulated the question :
I want to buy a pull out slatted type bed thingy,( like all the new caravans
have )fits into a locker box at the front of van, instead of having to put
the table top down every night. Has anyone got an idea just where I could
get this from? as it's not an accessory that you can get in the caravan
shops.
Ecky(Hants).

They are fairly basic, should be easy to make. Small box at the end
into which the slats can fold with a larger end slat forming the lid,
rounded guide coming out of the box, slats fixed onto 2x strips of
webbing or even some 'liberated' seat belt material.

Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk