Wiring MkIV Golf

Old June 19th 06, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
1xnickx1

Default Wiring MkIV Golf

Anybody towing with a VW Golf Dieasel?

I'm just starting caravanning and I need to run wires from a relay mounted
in the engine compartment to the auxiliary socket on the towbar. My
question is how do I route the wires through the front bulkhead without
having to strip the car to pieces to get at the back of the dashboard !

Nick

Old June 19th 06, 11:43 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
R L driver

1xnickx1 wrote:
Anybody towing with a VW Golf Dieasel?

I'm just starting caravanning and I need to run wires from a relay mounted
in the engine compartment to the auxiliary socket on the towbar. My
question is how do I route the wires through the front bulkhead without
having to strip the car to pieces to get at the back of the dashboard !

Nick

Most people seem to run the cables underneath. use a heavy gauge of
cable or you will get a large voltage drop.
Steve the grease

Old June 20th 06, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Long tall ugly

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 00:10:48 +0100, "1xnickx1"
wrote:

Anybody towing with a VW Golf Dieasel?

I'm just starting caravanning and I need to run wires from a relay mounted
in the engine compartment to the auxiliary socket on the towbar. My
question is how do I route the wires through the front bulkhead without
having to strip the car to pieces to get at the back of the dashboard !

Nick

If you must come via the bulkhead then....
I metal knitting needle of smaller diameter than cable.
firmly attach a length of sting to needle without increasing the
diameter (supa-glue)
Find main wiering harness where it passes through gromet in
bulk head, use needle to 'punch' through gromet in a fresh rubber area
(not along side wiering loom or down side of gromet but mid way
between edge of gromet and wiering loom) ease needle into the inside
of car .
Firmly attach new wire to string, now pull string through and wire
will follow...go slowly... you should find it a tight fit so that the
new wire is protected from chaffing and you get no water ingress
because the hole you punched is small compared to the wire and
therefore grips the wire.

Don't forget a safety fuse must be in line at the source of power.

John

Old June 21st 06, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
1xnickx1

John, thanks,

Do you have any idea where abouts the main loom goes through the bulkhead?
There is so much in the way both on the engine and the dashboard side that I
haven't so far managed to locate or get at the right point.

regards,
Nick

news