Towing Weight...

Old June 21st 06, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Eddie

Default Towing Weight...

Can any one help me...
I'm thinking about getting a caravan and I've been looking for the towing
weight for my 1997 1.8D Ford Fiesta Encore Mk3 --{{{I think}}}.
I bought the car new and checked all the paperwork that came with it... but
it dosn't give or I cant find the info that I req.
D'y think that I should review the car before consider towing a caravan...?

Tel

Old June 21st 06, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ToxOgrady

Althought the 1.8D engine is a sturdy old simple lump, the Fiesta is too
light unless you are getting a featherweight van with no creature comforts..

You have to start by deciding what is the best size/layout of caravan you
need , then get the right car sorted , ensure you have a place to put a
caravan...then finally get the caravan.

Stick with a diesel car, but look out for a common rail TDI engined car (
don't worry about high miles ) aiming to get a ratio in which the laiden van
is max 85% of car kerb weight.

o.uk...

Old June 21st 06, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
trefor

It's not so much the manufacturers' theoretical towing weight, but the
maximum safe weight when towing a caravan.
A figure of 85% for the weight of the caravan compared to the kerb weight
of the towing vehicle is usually recommended.
Experienced caravanners can probably exceed this slightly

So, all you need to do is find the kerb weight (ie empty car) and multiply
by 85% maybe under "Specifications" in the fiesta handbook) or perhaps on
the vehicle plate in the engine area

So, if your fiesta was, say, 950kg then the max weight of the caravan would
be 807kg (and that includes all the stuff you will be putting in it) And the
quoted ex-works weight probably doesn't include gas bottles, battery, etc
etc.

I agree with the other poster, it will be a fairly basic 2 berth

I don't want to get into the petrol/diesel debate, but I successfully towed
a 4 berth abbey oxford all over the UK for many years with a 1995 2 litre
auto ford mondeo. IMHO, I would say, if comparing 2 vehicles, and everything
else is the same, go for the diesel, but don't limit your choice by
completely excluding petrol.

HTH

Trefor

Old June 22nd 06, 07:36 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane

"Eddie" wrote in
o.uk:

I'm thinking about getting a caravan and I've been looking for the
towing weight for my 1997 1.8D Ford Fiesta Encore Mk3 --{{{I
think}}}. I bought the car new and checked all the paperwork that came
with it... but it dosn't give or I cant find the info that I req.

http://www.cuddles.abelgratis.net/ford.htm#fiesta398 gives the kerbweight
of a 1998 5-door 1.8TDdi Fiesta as 1041 kg, which gives an 85% match of
885 kg. so, you'd probably be looking for something along the lines of
an Eriba Puck or Familia, one of the Freedom range, or an older
lightweight.

However, I'd be concerned that the documentation (and presumably the VIN
plate) give no towing information. If your Fiesta is type-approved (which
was mandatory from S-reg onward) you can only use it for towing if the
manufacturer has supplied that data. So if it's S-reg and you can't find
either a maximum train weight or a maximum towing limit on the VIN plate
it would be unlawful to use the car for towing. Not all cars can be used
for towing and Ford have a history of producing cars (e.g. the Ka) that
cannot. If you find that information you need to calculate how much you
can safely tow. This will be the lesser of 85% of the kerbweight and the
towing limit (some cars have a towing limit less than an 85% match).

If your car is R-reg and you can't find the towing and kerbweight
information, and you can't get it from your local Ford dealership, you
can take your own kerbweight measurement at a public weighbridge, but
hopefully it won't come to that!

D'y think that I should review the car before consider towing a
caravan...?

It depends what you want and whether your Fiesta can legally tow. If you
can't find something light enough that will provide what you need you'd
be better changing the car. The Caravan Club, RAC, et al. advise that
inexperienced caravanners should tow no more than 85% of the kerbweight
of the towing vehicle. Although the 1.8 diesel will probably pull more
than 85%, it might not be safe from a stability point of view.

HTH,

--
Geoff