Wanted: Site recommends, SE UK + Loire valley/Auvernge

Old June 23rd 06, 08:18 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Cliff Top

Default Wanted: Site recommends, SE UK + Loire valley/Auvernge

Hi all,
We are planning to go touring in France this summer and would
welcome recommendations for quiet sites to stay on and places worth visiting
in the Loire valley (~Tours...Orleans area) and perhaps the Auvernge
(Clermont Ferrand) area. These are regions we haven't yet visited and which
aren't too long a hop to get to.

We also would need perhaps a place to overnight (free off road area? or
site) near Dover to take advantage of the cheap after 11pm ferries.
(arriving ~1am) for the return leg.

cheers
Andrew

Old June 23rd 06, 08:49 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mr W Z Boson

Cliff Top wrote:
Hi all,
We are planning to go touring in France this summer and would
welcome recommendations for quiet sites to stay on and places worth visiting
in the Loire valley (~Tours...Orleans area) and perhaps the Auvernge
(Clermont Ferrand) area. These are regions we haven't yet visited and which
aren't too long a hop to get to.

We also would need perhaps a place to overnight (free off road area? or
site) near Dover to take advantage of the cheap after 11pm ferries.
(arriving ~1am) for the return leg.

cheers
Andrew

We've always booked for the night-time ferries, but rolled up at a more
sensible time (mid-afternoon) and they've always put us on the next
crossing.

It's never failed - works on the Chunnel as well.

Maybe it's because I smile so sweetly?

Old June 23rd 06, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On 23 Jun 2006 01:49:36 -0700, "Mr W Z Boson"
wrote:

Cliff Top wrote:
Hi all,
We are planning to go touring in France this summer and would
welcome recommendations for quiet sites to stay on and places worth visiting
in the Loire valley (~Tours...Orleans area) and perhaps the Auvernge
(Clermont Ferrand) area. These are regions we haven't yet visited and which
aren't too long a hop to get to.

Nice municipal site at Azay-le-Rideau on the banks of the Indre next
to the chateau also next the municipal pool & tennis courts & a few
minutes walk to the village.

We also would need perhaps a place to overnight (free off road area? or
site) near Dover to take advantage of the cheap after 11pm ferries.
(arriving ~1am) for the return leg.

cheers
Andrew

We've always booked for the night-time ferries, but rolled up at a more
sensible time (mid-afternoon) and they've always put us on the next
crossing.

It's never failed - works on the Chunnel as well.

Maybe it's because I smile so sweetly?

C&CC have deal this year with Seafrance same price any time crossing I
paid 124 going Thursday 29th June coming back Sun 16th July.

Lenny
www.motoressentials.co.uk
Diesel Power Cetane Booster for a smoother quieter engine.

Old June 24th 06, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mr W Z Boson

Cliff Top wrote:
Hi all,
We are planning to go touring in France this summer and would
welcome recommendations for quiet sites to stay on and places worth visiting
in the Loire valley (~Tours...Orleans area) and perhaps the Auvernge
(Clermont Ferrand) area. These are regions we haven't yet visited and which
aren't too long a hop to get to.

We also would need perhaps a place to overnight (free off road area? or
site) near Dover to take advantage of the cheap after 11pm ferries.
(arriving ~1am) for the return leg.

cheers
Andrew

Sorry - my other reply was a bit facetious.

I'd agree, the Azay site is very good. We've also stayed at the
municipal in Neung-sur-Beuvron - quiet, nice big emplacements,
wood-pigeons and excellent cycling in the Sologne.

The Auvergne is very different - listen to "Songs of the Auvergne" to
get the mood of the place (and/or watch the movie "Etre et Avoir").