A caravanning song

Old June 24th 06, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Linz

Default A caravanning song

In 1814 we took a little trip
Along with Colonel Jackson down the mighty Mississip.
We took a little bacon and we took a little beans
And we caught the bloody British in the town of New Orleans.

We fired our guns and the British kept a'comin.
There wasn't nigh as many as there was a while ago.
We fired once more and they began to runnin' on
Down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico.

We looked down the river and we see'd the British come.
And there must have been a hundred of'em beatin' on the drum.
They stepped so high and they made the bugles ring.
We stood by our cotton bales and didn't say a thing.

We fired our guns and the British kept a'comin.
There wasn't nigh as many as there was a while ago.
We fired once more and they began to runnin' on
Down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico.

Old Hickory said we could take 'em by surprise
If we didn't fire our muskets 'til we looked 'em in the eye
We held our fire 'til we see'd their faces well.
Then we opened up with squirrel guns and really gave 'em ... well

We fired our guns and the British kept a'comin.
There wasn't nigh as many as there was a while ago.
We fired once more and they began to runnin' on
Down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico.aaaaaaaaaaaaa

Yeah, they ran through the briars and they ran through the brambles
And they ran through the bushes where a rabbit couldn't go.
They ran so fast that the hounds couldn't catch 'em
Down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico.**

We fired our cannon 'til the barrel melted down.
So we grabbed an alligator and we fought another round.
We filled his head with cannon balls, and powdered his behind
And when we touched the powder off, the gator lost his mind.

[Chorus]

Yeah, they ran through the briars and they ran through the brambles
And they ran through the bushes where a rabbit couldn't go.
They ran so fast that the hounds couldn't catch 'em
Down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico.**

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 140,000 groups
Unlimited download
Old July 7th 06, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bland Allison

Midi file is he

http://tinyurl.com/obz22

Recorded by Johnny Horton in 1959:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Horton

"Troglett" proclaimed in
:

to what tune is this sung to?

I think it works well with the ' sex pistols - god save the queen'

Old July 9th 06, 11:34 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter K L Milnes

The original was recorded by Lonnie Donegan in the Skiffle era (late
fifties - early sixties). It's own tune is very well suited.

All the best, Peter.