Power from electric sockets in the van

Old June 26th 06, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gadgetman

Default Power from electric sockets in the van

Okay this is probably a very simple question. We have just been away for our
second outing in the caravan which went well again. Begining to relax and
enjoy the experience.
We have taken the tv away both times and have had an electric hookup both
times. I have got to the bottom of charging the battery from car whilst
towing and from electric hookup lead. Also powering from the hookup lead.
Yesterday packed caravan away ready to head back so after England game had
finished could get going straight away.
At half time I took the power cable from the hookup out but could not get
power from the electric sockets. Everything else in the van seemd to work
just not the sockets. Tried all different combinations but could not get the
tv to work through caravan socket. To use the sockets in the caravan do I
need to be connected to the site hookup giving me the correct 240v setting.

Regards

Martyn

Old June 26th 06, 08:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roy

Gadgetman said the following on 26/06/2006 20:51:
[...]

Err 240v electric sockets = electric hookup / 12v sockets = battery

Roy

Old June 26th 06, 09:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield

It happens that Gadgetman formulated :

At half time I took the power cable from the hookup out but could not get
power from the electric sockets. Everything else in the van seemd to work
just not the sockets. Tried all different combinations but could not get the
tv to work through caravan socket. To use the sockets in the caravan do I
need to be connected to the site hookup giving me the correct 240v setting.

If you meant the 240v 13amp sockets, these only work when you have
'shore power' connected. The 12v sockets should work all the time,
irrespective of a 'shore power' connection - assuming you have a
battery installed or leave the caravan plugged into the car, though you
may also need to set the car/van switch.

Many buy a 240v/12v TV so they have the option of using them on battery
- although a 240v only TV could be used with a 12v to 240v inverter.

Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Old June 26th 06, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 20:51:41 +0100, "Gadgetman"
wrote:

To use the sockets in the caravan do I
need to be connected to the site hookup giving me the correct 240v setting.

How else could it work?

Bill Lord