12S question

Old June 26th 06, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Brookman

Default 12S question

Can someone enlighten me? I had a professional fit the 12S socket when I
got my current car, as it came with only the 12N. On a recent long trip
with the van, I noticed that the fridge was performing pretty poorly when
running on the car's 12v (cold in the morning after a night on mains, much
warmer by the evening after 300 miles behind the car), and the battery
likewise was not being charged much (if at all) from the car.

When I tested the 12S pins, the ones feeding the fridge and the battery
(sorry, can't remember the pin numbers) were permanently 12v + live. I
understood that both of these pins should be 12v only when the engine is
running. Am I right in thinking that the fitter has been lazy and just
spliced into a permanent live supply? There is no evidence in the engine
bay of a relay being fitted to supply a charge direct from the alternator,
so perhaps the fridge and battery are getting a measly 12v when they need
the full 14-odd direct from the alternator. Am I on the right lines, or
totally up the creek?

--
Rich
==============================

I don't approve of signatures, so I don't have one.

Old June 26th 06, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected] home

"Richard Brookman" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds reasonable. You wouldn't neccessarily see any evidence of a relay at
the engine end of the car, assuming it ain't a beetle or an imp, most relays
now work by sensing the voltage. If the car had recently run before you did
your checks, then the relay could still have been closed as the switching
voltage is set to around 12.5.

If you waited a while before checking, then there could be a lack of relay.
I would in any case expect a large cable from a live point to the relay in
the boot. It depends on your car as to where this would be taken from, but
the bootlight supply isn't strong enough!!

Cheers

Old June 26th 06, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Brookman

[email protected] home wrote:

|| "Richard Brookman" wrote in message
||| Can someone enlighten me? I had a professional fit the 12S socket
||| when I got my current car, as it came with only the 12N. On a
||| recent long trip with the van, I noticed that the fridge was
||| performing pretty poorly when running on the car's 12v (cold in the
||| morning after a night on mains, much warmer by the evening after
||| 300 miles behind the car), and the battery likewise was not being
||| charged much (if at all) from the car.
||| When I tested the 12S pins, the ones feeding the fridge and the
||| battery (sorry, can't remember the pin numbers) were permanently
||| 12v + live. I understood that both of these pins should be 12v
||| only when the engine is running. Am I right in thinking that the
||| fitter has been lazy and just spliced into a permanent live supply?
||| There is no evidence in the engine bay of a relay being fitted to
||| supply a charge direct from the alternator, so perhaps the fridge
||| and battery are getting a measly 12v when they need the full 14-odd
||| direct from the alternator. Am I on the right lines, or totally up
||| the creek?
||| --
||| Rich
|| Sounds reasonable. You wouldn't neccessarily see any evidence of a
|| relay at the engine end of the car, assuming it ain't a beetle or an
|| imp, most relays now work by sensing the voltage. If the car had
|| recently run before you did your checks, then the relay could still
|| have been closed as the switching voltage is set to around 12.5.
|| If you waited a while before checking, then there could be a lack of
|| relay. I would in any case expect a large cable from a live point to
|| the relay in the boot. It depends on your car as to where this would
|| be taken from, but the bootlight supply isn't strong enough!!
|| Cheers
|| David

It's a Disco II. Thanks for this - I'll check tomorrow when the car has
been standing a while.

--
Rich
==============================

I don't approve of signatures, so I don't have one.

Old June 26th 06, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Brookman

Old June 26th 06, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Brookman

Old June 26th 06, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
METWO

Richard,

Depends on what year your caravan is, but the new system is now wired like
that, but as you say there should be a relay for the old system, but the new
system has the relay in the van.

to get more info look at www.towitall.couk and should give more info.

Steve