Road Toll charge rates in France for Camper vans - enquiry

Old June 27th 06, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
mothed out

Default Road Toll charge rates in France for Camper vans - enquiry

Hello group,

could anyone here give me some up-to-date info about road toll rates
for camper vans/motorhomes in France?

I drive a big converted Mercedes commercial vehicle (609D) which is
registered as a camper, but has no obvious outward signs, no windows,
just a skylight and a fridge outlet. At a glance it looks exactly like
a commercial vehicle, though is not registered and insured as such.

Toll people, such as the lads/lasses on the severn bridge will
obviously tend to assume I am a commercial vehicle, so I have to argue
the case - generally they are nice folks on the severn bridge, and
pointing out the fridge outlet is enough!!!

Could be a bit more tricky in France what with my poor French !

My vehicle registration certificate (ownership papers) acknowledge that
my merc is registered as a camper (Body Type: CARAVAN), but how much
weight this English language doc may carry at a busy toll booth on a
hot day I am yet to find out.

I certainly aim to work out the French sentences I need and deliver
them in polished French. Plus maybe have some photos of the van with
the sliding door and the kitchen and bed etc visible to hand over with
the registration docs?

Anyway, as it stands I'm not even aware if special rates for
campers/motorhomes are applied?? and at what rate?? and what standard
of documentation is required??

I'd be most grateful for any info or experience anyone could provide

Thanks if you can help

regards
Mothed

Old June 27th 06, 12:43 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave Dew

"mothed out" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Have a look at this site. It will answer all your questions.
http://www.autoroutes.fr/voyage/prat...tion.php?lng=2

Regards

Dave.

Old June 27th 06, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"mothed out" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello group,

could anyone here give me some up-to-date info about road toll rates
for camper vans/motorhomes in France?

No, but if you search google you'll find sites to help. Campers under 3.5T
are category 3 for charging purposes IIRC.

I drive a big converted Mercedes commercial vehicle (609D) which is
registered as a camper, but has no obvious outward signs, no windows,
just a skylight and a fridge outlet. At a glance it looks exactly like
a commercial vehicle, though is not registered and insured as such.

Check the websites to see if a van is a lower category than a camper.

Toll people, such as the lads/lasses on the severn bridge will
obviously tend to assume I am a commercial vehicle, so I have to argue
the case - generally they are nice folks on the severn bridge, and
pointing out the fridge outlet is enough!!!

Could be a bit more tricky in France what with my poor French !

My vehicle registration certificate (ownership papers) acknowledge that
my merc is registered as a camper (Body Type: CARAVAN), but how much
weight this English language doc may carry at a busy toll booth on a
hot day I am yet to find out.

You wont win the argument. Once they've pressed the button for the amount I
doubt you'll get it changed.

I certainly aim to work out the French sentences I need and deliver
them in polished French. Plus maybe have some photos of the van with
the sliding door and the kitchen and bed etc visible to hand over with
the registration docs?

Anyway, as it stands I'm not even aware if special rates for
campers/motorhomes are applied?? and at what rate?? and what standard
of documentation is required??

My camper does about 20mpg and on the autoroutes the tolls cost me as much
as the fuel. They feel expensive in a camper, much more so than a car. So
much so that we used a lot of non motorway routes last year and saved a lot
of money.

Rgds

Andy R

Old June 27th 06, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

I'd be most grateful for any info or experience anyone could provide

Thanks if you can help

regards
Mothed

Check this url out http://www2.mappy.com/

If some one is a good map reader then I'm sure it will be helpful in avoid tolls

Have a good trip

DieSea