Knaus & some German van questions

Old June 27th 06, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Graham

Default Knaus & some German van questions

Hi all

I've been reading for sometime and we've finally decided to buy a
caravan from Germany - convinced by people's positive experiences...
We're buying from Joeressen's and have just paid our deposit. (All very
exciting). We're brand new to caravaning and all the research is giving
me a headache!
We're buying a Knuas 450FU Sudwind (a shade under 9500)

I have a couple of questions, if anyone can answer..

1. I'm getting a towbar fitted, is there anything I need to be weary of
wrt the electrics i.e German vans having different electrics etc? I
don't want to drive to Germany to find the break lights don't work
etc..

2. Any one recommened an insurance company?

3. Can anyone who's been to Joeressens let me know how they went about
it i.e stopping on the way back - anything I need to be aware of..
etc..

So far everything's going smoothing Joeressens have been great in
responding to emails and answering questions. If anyone wants to know a
bit more about our experieince so far, let me know..

Thanks,
Graham

Old June 27th 06, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On 27 Jun 2006 09:05:06 -0700, "Graham"
wrote:

Hi all

I've been reading for sometime and we've finally decided to buy a
caravan from Germany - convinced by people's positive experiences...
We're buying from Joeressen's and have just paid our deposit. (All very
exciting). We're brand new to caravaning and all the research is giving
me a headache!
We're buying a Knuas 450FU Sudwind (a shade under 9500)

Good choice not much wrong with Knaus vans, we are looking at a Sun TI
650MF motorhome to replace the Hobby, 'ere indoors won't let me spend
the dosh for a couple of years.

I have a couple of questions, if anyone can answer..

1. I'm getting a towbar fitted, is there anything I need to be weary of
wrt the electrics i.e German vans having different electrics etc? I
don't want to drive to Germany to find the break lights don't work
etc..

You will need a 13 Pin socket not the standard 2 x 7 pin sockets. Its
no big deal generally available in the UK.

2. Any one recommened an insurance company?

NFU, only thing they asked when I insured my Hobby was 'does it have a
smoke alarm?' I said yes & took one with me when I picked it up as
German vans don't have them.

3. Can anyone who's been to Joeressens let me know how they went about
it i.e stopping on the way back - anything I need to be aware of..
etc..

Takes about 4 hr from calais & just drive through the green lane at
Dover.

So far everything's going smoothing Joeressens have been great in
responding to emails and answering questions. If anyone wants to know a
bit more about our experieince so far, let me know..

Joeressens are great to deal with, if you are going to use UK propane
cylinders check that they have the adaptors in stock as they will not
change the regulator as UK ones don't meet German regs (so much for
the EU).

Lenny
www.motoressentials.co.uk
Diesel Power Cetane Booster for a smoother quieter engine.

Old June 27th 06, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Graham

Hi Lenny,

Thanks for the reply, I've informed the garage doing the tow bar it's a
german van, so it should be ok then.
That insurance co, is it NFU mutal ?

Graham

Old June 27th 06, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

wrote:

2. Any one recommened an insurance company?

CC will insure any van that can legally be driven on the UK roads.

Bill Lord