Used German caravans V used British built caravans.

Old June 29th 06, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Default Used German caravans V used British built caravans.

We are doing some research on caravan imports for one of the UK magazines
and have some questions.

As everyone knows over the last few years many people with motorhomes have
been buying German and the short trip across the water doesn't seem to put
people off and neither does left hand drive. The latest influx of campers
seem to be the smaller type of vehicle from Japan taking over from the "VW
T4/5" types of vehicle. So motorhome buyers don't seem to be anti import.

My question to this group is why is there not the same amount of caravans
been brought in like has happened with motorhomes? after all the caravans
are easier to bring in as you only drive across to Europe hook up and come
home and there is no registration process involved like with the motorhomes.

It seems there is a shortage of used German made vans at UK dealers for sale
from 1996 to 2003 especially 4/5/6 berth family vans. There are the larger
traveller type vans but for example Hymer caravans seem to be rare. We have
looked at some dealers like Lowdams Leisure World and others and none seem
to have many used vans for sale, they will sell you a new one no problem but
if you want a used one there is nothing to choose from.

We know some of the bigger twin axle vans are not desirable in the UK
because of there size and looks but why are mid size vans not been imported,
they have the quality and price in there favour . I had a chat with a sales
man at a large caravan dealer last week and he did nothing but moan about
the quality of British made caravans and how they leaked and when asked
which was the best caravan he replied "anything that says made in Germany on
it" He also said the best selling range of vans he had were the Adria vans.

So why aren't people buying there used vans abroad ? or are caravaners just
too traditional.

Replies appreciated to yoshio at hikyaku.com

Thanks Dave.

Old June 30th 06, 05:10 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Nebulous

"David" wrote in message
[...]

Some people swear by their German vans - but most people just don't believe
the hype.

Generally people like a dealer nearby who will do the servicing and any
warranty work.

There is also a great deal of suspicion about the spec of German vans- door
on the wrong side, no oven, spartan interiors, non-standard (to us) electric
socket, lack of many features that have become commmon in modern British
vans. I don't have much of a clue about whether this is true or not- but
talking to my friends those beliefs are pretty widespread.

You will find a shortage of family sized vans everywhere, whether they are
German or British. This is mainly caused by buoyant sales in recent years
and a lot of families taking up caravanning. Most dealers seem to be
stuffed full of two berths.

Neb

Old June 30th 06, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
les m

could it be that the german vans are so good people are not looking to
off-load a load of rubish after 1 to 2 years use. i wont be parting with
mine for a few years yet and ive had it for 4 years.
appy vanion each
les

Old July 2nd 06, 01:40 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Magick Pyggie

les m wrote:
could it be that the german vans are so good people are not looking to
off-load a load of rubish after 1 to 2 years use. i wont be parting with
mine for a few years yet and ive had it for 4 years.
appy vanion each
les

I agree, bought a two berth fixed twin Hymer from Lowdhams and its as
near perfect as you can get, ok its a beasty and I use a grand Espace 3
litre diesel to pull it, but the only down side is the IKEA
bathroom!!!!

Particularly like the "heavy" sliding door that seperates the bedroom.
Was in Lowdhams Gunthorpe yesterday and they had about ten second hand
Hymers.

Offside door isn't a major problem, just nose the van in.

MP