Air-pump for motorvan types - advice please.

Old July 1st 06, 01:16 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Les

Default Air-pump for motorvan types - advice please.

I need a decent electrical air-pump for my motor caravan tyres which
require 60 psi pressure.

A recent trial with a friend's pump which plugs into his cigar lighter
socket was a dismal failure. Although it claimed to go up to 150 psi,
it would have taken a week to get there!

TIA

Les
Old July 2nd 06, 07:53 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Nebulous

"Les" wrote in message
I need a decent electrical air-pump for my motor caravan tyres which
require 60 psi pressure.

A recent trial with a friend's pump which plugs into his cigar lighter
socket was a dismal failure. Although it claimed to go up to 150 psi,
it would have taken a week to get there!

TIA

Les

I think you get what you pay for with 12v pumps.

After a couple of cheap ones we got an Argo's one which cost around 25. It
works very well and I check all tyres before going away with the van. I also
check all tyres on site before leaving to come home, use it for bikes and
lend it to other people without one, so it has stood up very well to a lot
of use. Our one has a detachable digital guage with a variety of settings.

Having said that none of them are particularly fast. We had to get a high
volume rechargeable battery one for airbeds and the paddling pool because
the 12 volt one took so long. I see from the Argo's website one listed for
SUV's. They are claiming 5.5 minutes to take a tyre from nothing to 30 psi,
which is reasonable as far as I am concerned. Surely what you want to do is
check regularly and not let your tyre go much below 60, so that it never
takes too long to pump up.

Neb

Old July 5th 06, 12:52 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Neil

On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 14:16:58 +0100, Les
wrote:

I need a decent electrical air-pump for my motor caravan tyres which
require 60 psi pressure.

A recent trial with a friend's pump which plugs into his cigar lighter
socket was a dismal failure. Although it claimed to go up to 150 psi,
it would have taken a week to get there!

TIA

Les

Talk to this guy: V J Goodall on 01406 373297.

He is(I think) connected with Travelmasters overland expeditions.
Earlier this year, as a side line he was selling some 2 cylinder,
12volt tyre compressors for 65 at a 4x4 show, and I bought one.

It's terrific! It's quiet compared to a lot of cheaper ones, but it
really does inflate tyres from flat in quite a short time. It draws a
current too heavy for cigar lighter socket connection, so it has croc
clips for the battery. It also has a long, detachable, coiled air
line and a screw-on valve connector.

HTH

Neil

Old July 6th 06, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Les

On Sun, 2 Jul 2006 08:53:14 +0100, "Nebulous"
wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Neb.

You have confirmed what I thought in the first place.

Les